Professor Metin Başoğlu provides tutorship for individuals who need basic, intermediate, or advanced training in psychological trauma. Mass traumas, such as wars, regional armed conflicts, acts of terrorism, political violence, torture, and natural disasters are major traumatic events that affect large populations around the world. They affect almost every aspect of life and therefore concern a wide range of disciplines, including medical, mental health, public health, social, and political sciences, human rights, law, humanities, philosophy, anthropology, arts, and journalism, among others. This training program can cater for the needs of individuals from diverse disciplines.
Training provides learning opportunities in the following ways:
- It provides an opportunity, particularly for beginners in the field, to gain a sound theory- and evidence-based orientation in psychological trauma and its treatment. The program can also address the needs of individuals who have strong research interests or who are planning to pursue an academic career in this field.
- Training provides an opportunity to learn about Control-Focused Behavioral Treatment and the mental healthcare model developed by Professor Başoğlu.
- Mass traumas do not occur in a vacuum; they are closely associated (either causally or consequentially) with political, socio-cultural, and economic systems and thus an adequate understanding of mass traumas requires a multidisciplinary approach. Most training programs in psychological trauma around the world, particularly in western countries, focus solely on medical, psychiatric, or psychological aspects of trauma, disregarding the relevance of other disciplines. In contrast, training with Professor Basoglu provides an opportunity to understand mass trauma from an interdisciplinary perspective.
- Training can be tailored according to the needs of each applicant. Learning takes place through regular personal contact with Professor Başoğlu, his tutorship and mentorship, guided reading of the relevant literature, discussions on issues of special interest to trainees, and observing (or participating in) his ongoing work at the time (which currently involves mostly publishing data from previously completed projects or write-up of review articles). As such, the trainees have plenty of opportunity to benefit from his wealth of experience with war, torture, refugee, and natural disaster trauma, test or develop research ideas, and gain some experience in research methodology.
Training program on Control-Focused Behavioral Treatment
This is a 3-month training program that covers the topics listed in the SYLLABUS. The trainees will be provided reading material, including various articles and chapters selected from DABATEM’s publications, and given weekly reading assignments throughout the training period to cover each topic. They will be expected to read the material and present it to Professor Başoğlu for discussion in weekly seminars. (1) to familiarize trainees with (a) learning theory & abnormal psychology and (b) DABATEM’s work in the last 25 years, which is essential in understanding CFBT and how it evolved, (2) to allow the trainees to raise questions for discussion and ensure that they fully understand the contents of the reading material and progress through the training program smoothly, and (3) to assess the trainees’ performance in the learning process.
As there are currently no ongoing projects at DABATEM, training does not involve opportunities for observing delivery of CFBT, but applicants can expect to gain an adequate understanding of its theory and practice through reading assignments and discussions with Professor Başoğlu.
The topics listed in the syllabus are not meant to be exhaustive. Trainees can raise specific issues of interest to them for discussion with Professor Başoğlu. Such flexibility is intended to cater for the specific needs of the trainees. The program can also be tailored to meet the needs of trainees from disciplines other than mental health (e.g. public health, social and political sciences, human rights, law, humanities, philosophy, anthropology, arts, etc.). Trainees who are involved in (or planning) research on trauma for a post-graduate degree (e.g. Masters or PhD) can also bring up their research issues for discussion.
It is important to bear in mind that the training program is fairly intensive and requires substantial reading. The performance of the trainees will be quantitatively assessed on the basis of a grading system devised by Professor Başoğlu. This grading system will take into account the trainee’s performance in discussion sessions, as well as the results of an oral exam on the topics covered at the end of the training period. Successful completion of the program will require a satisfactory overall grade (which will be indicated in the certificate of training, if one is requested).
Timing of training
There are four 3-month training periods during a year:
- January to April
- April to July
- July to October
- October to January
After the start of the pandemic, DABATEM’s office, originally located in the main town center of Taksim, was relocated to Professor Başoğlu’s house in Zekeriyaköy (a pleasant and peaceful village located outside Istanbul close to the Black Sea, accessible in 45 minutes from Taksim, the town center). As he lives alone (with his in-house house-keeper) in his spacious 3-floor house, it is possible to offer lodging to one trainee from overseas, thereby facilitating their stay in Istanbul, while also eliminating the need to commute to and from his house.
In addition, his house affords a pleasant environment to live and work in due to its location. It affords opportunities for eating out, hiking in the woods, taking walks on the beach, etc.
The fee for the 3-month training program is 15,000 USD (inclusive of lodging and meals).
Applicants will need to go through a selection process to ensure that the training offered is likely to meet their needs. To be eligible for the selection process, please send your CV to Professor Başoğlu (firstname.lastname@example.org) and provide answers to the questions below. Applications without this information will not be processed. An interview will be required via Skype or similar applications.
- What is your primary interest in training (e.g. treatment, research, basic or advanced training in psychological trauma)?
- Have you received any previous training in psychological trauma? If so, from whom or where?
- Do you have any previous training in any form of psychotherapy (e.g. psychodynamic, cognitive, behavioral)?
- Do you have any research experience? If so, please briefly provide details.
- Are you currently involved in any work with trauma survivors? If yes, please briefly describe its nature.
- How did you discover DABATEM and how familiar are you with Professor Başoğlu’s work?
- How do you expect to benefit from the training program? How do you think it will contribute to your future career?
- Do you need training beyond the 3-month training program (e.g. in trauma research). If so, please specify your needs in additional training and your preferred training duration (e.g. additional 3 months, 6 months, etc.).
- What are your first and second preferences among the four start dates of the 3-month training program (January, April, July, October)?
- Irrespective of the above start dates, what could be your earliest possible start date?
- What is the source of funding for your training (e.g. personal, scholarship, grant, etc.)?
Once the suitability of the training program for your needs is established, you can register for the program.
Registration for a particular training period will require an initial deposit payment of 1,000 USD. Please note that a full refund upon subsequent cancellation will be possible only if the applicant provides reasons beyond one’s control (e.g. illness, etc.) or if the training is cancelled by Professor Başoğlu for some reason. The remaining amount may be paid anytime until the start of the training period or upon arrival in Istanbul.
Certification of training
A certificate of attendance at the training program can be provided, if requested. Provision of a certificate, however, will be conditional on successful completion of the training program, as previously noted.
This page is subject to revision from time to time. As ideas evolve, the information provided here may be revised or new information added. Therefore, potential applicants are advised to check this page periodically for any updated information.